segunda-feira, 21 de novembro de 2011

Am I surrounded by typewriters?

Lately I've noticed that typewriters haunt me... In a good way, obviously!  Even when I'm relaxing on the couch watching TV...

The other day I was watching an episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot and found interesting as a typewriter was used in a crime. As everyone should already know,  Agatha Christie was known for writing her books on a typewriter. And she included it majestically in this crime. I've tried to figure out which was the typewriter that appears in the images, but no luck yet. Only appears for a few seconds and there's no focus on the brand ...

 One of the criminals falsifying dental records!

I particularly like this capture! While the woman is peacefully sitting at the desk, a man lies dead at her feet...

You can watch it here!

Shortly after this I was watching an episode of another series, Fringe. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that part of action of this episode takes place in a typewriter store.  In this case, I have been able to find some of the models that were exposed. Some are included in my wish list, others I have spent a few hours looking at them while doing my research on the internet about typewriters (AKA searching the next one that I'm going to buy).

I found it strange the lack of light ... One of the main things to do when we buy a typewriter is to see if it is damaged. And see what the font is ... Something hard to do with this light. However it works perfectly to influence our interpretation of the plot and action!

I also found interesting how a "simple" typewriter (and lets face it, theres nothing simple about a Selectric!) was used as a way to communicate between worlds (most of the story is science fiction!). Although the way it is portrayed almost make it seem rather daunting...


Were typewriters always this present in my daily life, but as I never had the attention, I had never noticed their presence?

Or now that I find my self among the enthusiasts of this fantastic machines, my eyes are more accurate to detect their appearances?

2 comentários:

  1. Hello, thank you for this post! I can confirm I suffer from the same symptoms: I see typewriters everywhere.

  2. I have a feeling that the typewriter in the Agatha Christie show is a Remington (no. 12??). The typewriter shop in Fringe is a wonderful scene, very atmospheric.

    Thanks for sharing these!