domingo, 4 de dezembro de 2011

The Cesaro Project (Royal Royalite)

*** The Cesaro Project ***


This project has consumed my free time these days. I decided to baptize it in honor of its keyboard.

It all started with an online purchase what went wrong. I've found a Royal Royalite in a Portuguese online sale. From the pictures shown by the seller (low resolution) the machine just needed a good cleaning. I questioned the salesman and he told me that the machine was working in perfect condition. It was his grandmother's typewriter and it had always been highly esteemed.

When I finally got the typewriter in the mail I thought I'd die! I could not believe what I was seeing. The painting was all popping... The machine was  beyond dirty. My first thought was to pour it into the trash right away!




I leave you here some photos of the cover. The rest... I refuse my self to publish it. I think I was too innocent (and dumb) and did not realize I was being deceived.


I decided to take a chance on this machine and  clean it and take it apart... I could use some spare  parts in the future. And then I realized that all the mechanisms were in perfect condition. With a good cleaning and a little oil the machine would be running like new. So I decided to get on with the task at hand. And use the vacuum cleaner, a toothbrush, several toothpicks, several cotton swabs and even a oven spray cleaner...


The keys were so dirty that I couldn't tell what was their original color. Thought to be white. I was saved by oven spray cleaner and a toothbrush and after scrubbing key by key I got a new keyboard.


Given that machine was from the Portuguese dictatorship Salazar period, I decided to paint it red. A political joke and a compliment to the communists. On top of all, everything looks better in red...


And so I got a new machine. Was working in perfect condition, had a fantastic ivory keyboard and felt as if I've saved it from certain death. I was at peace with my conscience and proud of the work I've done. Incredible what a can of spray paint can do.


Sadly I had to lose the Royal logo. But I was so calcinated that was impossible to remove it without breaking it. I chose the paint it too.


But there are some things that could not lose, and I ended up keeping them. As the seller's information sticker. The machine was sold in my city. Quite close to where I usually have coffee...



It was not a perfect job. But given the state it was... For me was a great achievement! I've never thought I could do it.



There is something on this machine that screams "Christmas"! And Christmas is almost there. Then I remembered that my older wanted a typewriter for Xmas. I realized then that it was the perfect present...




To contrast with the body that was smooth and shiny, I decided to create some texture on the lid. An attempt only... But I remembered the texture of my Splendid. And I thought it would give some life to the machine. I think that the final result is pretty good!


The body, all-aluminum, was severely damaged. Aluminum in some places was already eroded and even sanding could not hide some surface faults.


The red spots on the screws were already there! I think that they were painted by the seller to ensure that the machine was only stirred by an authorized technician.


Oddly enough all the internal mechanisms are in excellent conditions with no signs of rust or rotting. Only the body was damaged. And ruining the aesthetic!




The serial number shows that this "young" machine was produced in 1960. And 50 years later received a new life and a new home.



I confess that I can not get used to these keyboards. They have all that is necessary to write in Portuguese... But I believe that there's nothing more comfortable than a qwerty/z keyboard!


I was surprised by the power and fantastic writing of such a small and compact typewriter. Although I'm a fan of German brands, I must admit... This "lady" writes very well! I almost felt sorry for letting it go. But it will in the family!



The case is only in need of a little shoe polish and a good and hard polishing. It will shine like new! And here it is the perfect Christmas gift. Only needs a ribbon. One for the typewriter and one for the package!


1 comentário:

  1. Bravo! That is a terrible paint job, but it is so much better than it was before :-) And paint is temporary. You can choose to take the whole thing down to bare metal. Well done for resiting the urge to throw it away. One of these day's I'll get round to trying one of these smart-looking machines.

    ResponderEliminar