domingo, 11 de março de 2012

Hermes Baby


 Finally, and two weeks latter, I present you my orange Hermes Baby!


I've cleaned it a bit harder than what was needed and that almost costed me the Hermes logo...

I believe there isn't much to say about this typewriter. All that is to say has already been said. This is a rather common and much heralded machine.


The poor lighting conditions resulted in this strange effect! I also believe this unit was made in Brazil… Honestly my fist contact with the Baby was rather disappointing. Too much plastic and too fragile. Although it's a very handy machine, ultra light and super portable. In case of damage it's easy to repair, find spare parts or even find an other to replace it.


This time I've left my comfort zone with the qwertz keyboards. I took the chance and got a portuguese azerty keyboard. Although I haven't managed to get used to the hcesar, this time the adaptation process was quite easy. With exception of the "M" that changed its place with the "Ç"...



About the typing it self… There's nothing to point. It's very fluid and light. Very pleasant to use. 


It's again an Elite. I haven't got lucky yet. I'm still searching for a typewriter with Cursiva or Techno font.

And that's all for now :)

10 comentários:

  1. Very nice looking typewriter. I really like the color.
    The Baby is one on my wish list.

    I was going to set my goal to only buy typewriters in colors. I decided in stead for different type faces. Then if I see a typewriter of interest that I can afford; I'll buy it.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I've failed all the goals I've set... But I starting to get more restrained...

      Eliminar
  2. Hello Fernando, congratulations to your new Hermes Baby! I was not aware that the Portuguese keyboard is also "azerty". I had thought only the French had this one. But then, there has always been a very close connection between France and Portugal.

    Could you tell us the serial number? And I would also be curious what is written on the back side of the machine.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. The serial number is 9462474 (circa 1973 according to tw-db) and in the back side it's written "A Hermes Precisa international product", one of the reasons that lead me to believe it was made in Brazil...

      Eliminar
    2. The original Portuguese keyboard was hcesar but with the fall of the dictatorship we've adopted the French layout due to similarities between the two languages.

      Eliminar
    3. That's even more interesting! And thank you for the serial number. The exact same machine as yours is found with either "A Hermes Precisa international product" and "HERMES - HERMES PRECISA S.A. - INDUSTRIA BRASILEIRA". With your serial number, there is now proof that the numbering of these two variations overlap / mix. This makes me believe that they all were produced in Brazil, but probably the ones sold in Europe were "hiding" their Brazilian origin and labelled "Hermes Precisa" only, whereas in other parts (the rest?) of the world the Brazilian origin was displayed. This would roughly correspond with the geographic distribution of where these Babys were found. !Just a theory!

      Eliminar
  3. Wow, great find, congratulations! Orange is really the coolest color for a Hermes Baby.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. It's really cool :) Since I've seen Adwoa's Baby in orange with the Swiss flag in the carrying case I've searching for one :)

      Eliminar
  4. I have a Hermes Baby since the 80's a white one

    ResponderEliminar
  5. hi, do you have any historical information on this typewriter? i have a same one but in green and i'd like to know more about it. thanks! (:

    ResponderEliminar